Monday 2 November 2015

Recipe: Five a Day Tagine from BBC Good Food

Here is the recipe for this delish dinner :)


This hearty tagine is the definition of warmth and comfort and it’s pretty healthy too! It gives you that satisfying knowledge that what you are eating is good: good for the senses, good for the body and good for the mind. The balance of sweet and spicy flavours make it a strong candidate for a family favourite and it’s easy to make too.

I love colour in my food and I often vary the vegetables that I use in this recipe. Variety in colour is great for your health as it provides your body with lots of different vitamins and minerals which are all needed for different functions. Generally speaking, the less you cook your veg the more nutrients you retain, therefore roasting the veg in oil as this recipe does may not be the healthiest in the world but I think it is still up there in the nutrition value on the whole.
 
Whilst I understand that the vegetarian nature of this dish may put some people off, the flavours are so rich that I don’t think meat would add anything to it in terms of taste. I think that going veggie for one or two meals a week can be a great thing for good health, the environment and for the bank account. However, if you prefer to have meat, I reckon that some lamb would go brilliantly for a more decadent meal.

Its vegetarian nature and the lack of beans or pulses does mean that this recipe may lack in protein slightly. However, for one meal of the week I don’t feel that this is a tragedy - in our country we are often prone to over eating on protein anyway.

The best thing about this dish is that it stimulates all your senses: it looks vibrant and hearty, smells delicious, sounds beautiful (especially when you add the tomatoes to the hot pan), feels great (the preparing of vegetables gives you a sense of creating and preparing something wholesome), and it tastes YUMMY! You can vary the spices to make it as sweet or spicy as you like but I think that the suggestions provided are pretty spot on. Perfect for a dark and blustery Autumnal night!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment